Simple Criminal Barrister Selection Tips
|Simple Criminal Barrister Selection Tips|
Even though you are innocent of the crime, being accused of any crime puts a smear on your reputation, thus, you need a good barrister to protect you from the impact of conviction. Since lawyer selection is crucial, you need to follow the guidelines mentioned below.
Before you find an attorney, you should determine the nature of crime that you have because there are lawyers who specialize on certain crimes. There are lawyers who specialize in theft, robbery, murder and many more.
To get experienced and reputable lawyers, you need to consider certain qualities like:
- They should be well versed with criminal law.
- Have the passion to bring justice and to protect the rights and lives of their clients.
- Have confidence to present the case in court and to intimidate the prosecuting team.
- Have the emotional skills to win the favor and to convince the jury of your innocence.
- Have won different types of criminal cases.
- They should be brave enough to face and to stand up before the judge.
- Have broad knowledge and understanding of police work and finding evidences and clues.
- Well versed in all aspects and facets of criminal law. Has the ability to bring surprises during hearings.
- Has the honesty to tell the client on how the case fares.
- Should be friendly with police officers, detectives and lawyers to get the needed information in solving the case.
- Shop around. Find time to surf the Internet and research about the best lawyers in the market to defend your case. Short list your choices to those found in your locality.
- Ask referrals from friends, relatives and colleagues who experienced the same case as you have.
- Inquire from your local bar association and ask the track record of your chosen lawyers in your list.
- Ask telephone numbers of your lawyers' previous clients to get their comments and review of their performance.
- Ask around. Find out lawyers who are practicing law, their experience and the type of case they handle and specialize. Make sure that your selected lawyer is licensed and has malpractice insurance.
- Select lawyers whom you are comfortable dealing with.